.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sleep trouble...

Well, we made it through the first 6 months with a marvelously easy baby in regards to sleeping (in regards to most things really, but especially sleeping). A new pattern has evolved though, and I'm not digging it.

Sophie used to go to bed b/t 9-10, wake b/t 3-4 to eat and then sleep until 7 or so. For the past week, she is waking at 12:30, 1:30, 3:30, 4:30...fussy, fussy. She doesn't typically wake each of those times every night, but at least 2 out of the 4. I think I said in an earlier post that I just feed her b/c it's a quick fix back to sleep for another few hours. Last night, I fed her at 12:30, she woke at 1:30 but quite honestly I was so tired that I just let her fuss, so she must have gone back to sleep. Then she slept until 5ish.

She doesn't cry really, but is really restless and whiny in her sleep. I had stopped using the sleep positioner a few weeks ago, but used it again last night to see what happened. My active little girl managed to move her body IN the sleep positioner a full 90 degrees.

This new pattern coincides with a few things, but I don't know if any of them is the culprit.
1) turning 6 months
2) not using the harness
3) the emergence of 2 teeth

Also, she is starting to fight going to bed a bit. I've always made a habit of putting her to bed awake, and until a week ago, that worked fabulously. It was hard to leave the room when her little blue eyes were staring up at me in the dark, but she was typically asleep within 10 minutes. NOW? Not so much. She no longer will just ease into sleep. I tried to put her to bed last night at 9:30. No luck. I rocked her for a few minutes, and put her back to bed. No luck. Lather, rinse, repeat and she finally stayed down. I just really don't want to get in the habit of rocking her to sleep, or having her fall asleep on me. I've heard that's bad, bad, bad.

So, I had a talk with Mr. Google this morning and a consistant answer to this problem could be separation anxiety, but I'm doubtful of that. I don't think that's it. She is showing no other signs.

What to do?? I have no clue. I wish she came with a manual:)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Thats so funny, because starting a few days ago, my PEREFCT sleeper has been giving me trouble (but only at nap times so far).

You def. dont want to get into the habit of rocking, I made that mistake the first time around and its not good.

It sounds like your doing all the right things, just hang in there. I'd def. say its a combination of all those things, the teeth being a biggie. Have you tried Hylands Teething Tablets? They are a all natural teething remedy, I used them with my older DD and they really seemed to help. I jsut bought some the other day for little M.

Leah said...

Honey, my baby is 10 months old and still wakes twice during the night. Some babies just do not sleep..no matter what we try or say or do. One of my bloggy friends has read every book and tried every trick. She is obsessed! And you know something? Nothing has worked. She's still up all night long. I get it! I haven't had a full night's sleep in over 10 months. It's exhausting. Maybe when her teeth come in things will get better.

Hippie Family... said...

well #1 - it's possible it is all 3 of those things, and keep putting her to bed awake, it's the best way to teach her. do you have one of those glow worm things or something like it? I used that with T. plays a little music and the lights dim down and go out.
#2. when she wakes up and is whiney in bed, let her be... this is what they call self soothing.. or in other words, you are going to get up regardless and listen to her but don't go in there or she'll do it till shes 3. Unless she really belts out a good one, this is the time when she does have a lot of change going on and needs to learn to put herself back to bed. -- she will, it may take a week to a month, but it will work.
Is she sleeping in her bed? T did a lot of this when I moved her into her bed. She's a great sleeper now, shes addicted to her special blankets and her thumb but she told me last night "I tired"
you will get there one day too :D

Anonymous said...

There's a book called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" that I have been reading. It recommends putting your baby to bed much earlier. Many parents are reluctant to do this in fear that they will wake up earlier, but they don't. I began putting my 4 month old down at 7:00-7:30 and he sleeps until about 5:30, eats, and then goes back to sleep till about 7:30. I think it says that this can reduce nighttime wakings too!