.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

shocked and amazed...

UPDATE: As of 11/11...we've collected over $900 for Amy and her family!!!!!!!

at the generosity I have witnessed in the past 2 days.

I don't even know how to start this post. A friend who I initially "met" through the internet, and have since become friends with in real life is facing a horrible situation right now. I posted about her situation a few months ago, but have a bit more info now.

Amy's husband was diagnosed with brain cancer in the Spring. This diagnosis came shortly after Amy found out that her first IVF worked. Matt went through treatment this summer, and has spent most of that time in the hospital. I heard from Amy earlier this week, who said that things do not look good. He is not expected to survive the cancer, although as far as I know there is no "time line" of when something might happen. He is 30 years old.

Amy is due with their baby girl on Christmas Day. I can't express to you just how much she wanted this baby. She was just so focused...and went through treatment after treatment until something finally worked.

Unfortunately though, she has not been able to enjoy this much wanted pregnancy, and instead has been faced with the illness of her husband. Additionally, she is not working...and so not collecting a paycheck.

I just felt like I had to do something, and my friend Lisa suggested attempting a donation. I thought it was a great idea, but didn't have much hope for collecting. After all...who sents money to a stranger over the internet?? I posted yesterday morning on one of the Nest boards, that is most frequented by woman who have struggled with IF...and have a beautiful baby (or 2 or 3!) to show for their struggles. I threw a request out there that people may want to donate to Amy, which brings me to the title of my post...

So far, we have raised almost $500 for Amy and her family, and many more have let me know that they have checks in the mail. For all intents and purposes...these women are strangers (although I don't feel that way). Chances are they will never meet Amy, but they still chose to help her out with a donation.

I'll be collecting for a few more weeks, probably up until her shower on Nov 22. I will talk with Amy about what will best fill her needs. It might be a gift card to Target to buy essentials for herself, or the soon to be born baby Mattie, or maybe she needs gas cards to help her get to and from the hospital, or meal cards to use at the hospital.

It makes me feel really good. And it reminds that people can be so wonderful in a time of tragedy like this. For those of you have had donated, thank you so much. I plan to print out each e-mail and give to Amy so she can see where her gift came from.

If you'd like to donate you can do so by the methods listed below. Any amount, even ($1 !!!!) is appreciated!
1) If you have Paypal you can send money to my paypal account, staceymccrary2003@yahoo.com

2) If you don't have Paypal but can still do an on-line donation you can e-mail me at the above address and I can send an invoice that you respond to.

No comments: