.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

stripping

My membranes have been stripped. Sounds sexy, huh? We went for our 38w5d OB yesterday and she gave us 3 options.
1) Stripping cervical membranes which, if it works *should* start labor in 48-72 hours.
2) Letting things continue to happen naturally. This wasn't such a great option for us, b/c we want Dr. S to deliver Sophie and she'll be out of town 3 days next week.
3) #2, plus scheduling an induction for NEXT Friday should she not cooperate.

I immediately started shaking, I guess b/c everything seemed to really be happening. Or, at least the planning for everything to really happen was happening, if that makes any sense. I REALLY didn't want Option #3, but I wasn't sure if I was ready for #1. Dan's choice was to "get things started" so as soon as I heard that it sealed the deal.

The actual stripping was painful b/c of the pressure. No knife stabbing pain, but MAJOR pressure and cramping. Dan held one hand and I had the other dug into the exam table. It didn't take long, but things certainly felt different after she was done. The goal was to 1) loosen the mucus plug (again, SO sexy) and 2) detach the bag of water from the uterus.

Leaving the dr office was very surreal for me. It was like ok, we'll meet her soon. It was exciting and scary all at the same time.

This happened about 3 pm yesterday, so we're at about 27 hours so far. I've had cramps, and some back pain, and my girlie parts are really sore but not much else.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I've been told to stay close to home if my contrax are 1) fairly close together or 2) fairly painful. I don't think she'll actually arrive until at least Friday, if not Sat or Sun. I know this sound selfish, but I don't really want her to be born on Thanksgiving anyway. To be selfish for her, I don't want her to have to share her b-day with a turkey, although I realize that it wouldn't happen every year. However, what better day of the year to be born, after the struggle we went through to have her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about leaving the doctor's office being surreal. I had my membranes stripped 6 days before Olivia was born. But the day I woke up and thought I was in labor, I had a dr appt scheduled anyway. When I got there, I was 4cm and contracting and he said "go to the hospital" and I started crying, it's like all of a sudden you realize it's coming and it's real...and it's amazing! I wish you so much luck and can't wait to hear when she arrives.