Tuesday, October 19, 2010

the beginnings of a FET plan...

After numerous messages to/from Dr. K's secretary, I have an appt on Nov 9 to see Dr. K for a consult. At that time, she will also do the SHG, to make sure my uterus is nice and smooth and the trial embryo transfer. The TET is done to "map" the path to my uterus, in preparation for the actual transfer. At first, I was told I couldn't schedule these b/c I am still bfing, but after further investigation, aka annoying pushing from me, I was told that these two procedures can be done. I just have to get my p4 drawn the day before to make sure I am not Oing.

It's hard for me to believe that I'm back to talking in acronyms.

The FET plan, in my head, goes something like this...I will start weaning Sophie mid-November with the plan to be completely done bfing by the end of the year. At that point, I can start Estrace for the FET cycle. If I remember correctly, I was on it for several weeks with FET #1. FET would actually take place late January to mid-February.

I'm curious how Dr. K's plan will differ from that. I can't imagine it will be much different. In my mind, my main concern is that I want her to do the FET (as opposed to one of the other 2 RE's there). Plus, unless it's changed, FETs are only done on Fridays, just b/c they are so much more predictable and easier to plan for than a fresh transfer.

We have two frozen embryos and we'll transfer them both, should they both thaw. Thaw rate at Dr, K's office is 75%, but all three of ours thawed for FET #1.

Honestly, I'm not holding out much hope that it will work, but I have to give them a shot. I desparately WANT it to work, but I'm trying to be realistic. And the reality is, it took 8 tranferred embryos to get Sophia, so the likelihood of one of these 2 thawing and sticking around is not great.

I'm not too emotional about it at this point, but I know that will come. I just want it done so it's...well..done. This will most likely be the end of the line for us. I can't put forth the mental effort to go through another fresh cycle. Sophia is plenty for both of us, and we are absolutely content with her. That said, I would love for her to have a sibling. I feel like we owe it to her to try.


Stacy said...

Sounds like a good plan! I will be sending lots of luck your way.

Fran said...

My dear, I am not sure how the cycle will actually happen but unlike the previous transfers, you have to remember that this cohort of embryos is the same that gave you Sophia. I would actually be optimistic. Like you said though, you have them ready to go and there is no point not to go through with it. I am quite sure the excitement will build up a bit more as you get close to January! Much love, Fran